Closing date: November 1st
Digital Content Specialist – Internship
NOTE: Only applicants located in within the Maritime provinces will be considered
Island Nature Trust is PEl’s oldest land trust. We are dedicated to acquiring and protecting ecologically important land for the benefit of both wildlife and Islanders. At the forefront of INT’s mission is to activate the public and provide better engagement opportunities with current and potential supporters. During a time when we rely – more than ever- on the public to help us protect the ecological integrity of our beautiful Island, you could join our growing communications team in assisting the Trust in developing and spreading its ‘story’ to reach ambitious goals of securing 500 new members every year.
Tasked with writing engaging content and securing digital assets for the deployment of written and visual storytelling goals – the digital content creator will support the distribution of content across our expanding range of communication mediums and existing social media channels.
Under the direction of the communications manager, the successful candidate will communicate with the species-at-risk, land stewardship and fundraising departments in generating engaging copy for social media, the INT quarterly newsletter and the Trust’s blog, coupled with capturing audiovisual and photography content in the field.
You will assist in the content generation, scheduling and publishing of social media posts across all INT platforms, such as Linkedln, Facebook & lnstagram. You will support the communications manager in creating content for the INT quarterly newsletter and the Trust’s blog, in addition to updating content on the Trust’s website.
The successful candidate will display both a creative eye and proficiency in capturing and generating engaging written, audiovisual and photography content. Experience of conducting interviews and writing editorial copy is a strong asset. You will have a willingness to learn and be comfortable taking direction – balanced with the capacity to generate creative ideas and contribute towards a developing communications & marketing strategy for Island Nature Trust.
Your duties include:
• Writing, reviewing, editing, and updating content for social media, company website, marketing materials, and press releases.
• Capturing content for various content types (videos, articles, infographics) with relevant tone and style, adhering to the respective style guides
• Assist with coordinating the scheduling and publishing of social media posts across all platforms
• Use social media to engage with supporters, respond to questions and to promote Trust initiatives
• Conduct research and interviews to learn more about conservation and the people behind the Trust – developments, and perceptions about the subject matter, and then contextualize your findings
• Collaborate with internal departments to establish campaign objectives, complete tasks, and identify and solve problems
• Assisting the communications manager with the design of promotional and campaign materials.
• Monitor social media and company website metrics
• Suggest new ways to promote the Trust’s mission in engaging with potential supporters
• You recognize the need for constant improvement – always looking to do things better (both personally, as part of a team and for the company) and can showcase how you have made enhancements in previous situations
• Assisting with the setup and coordination of Trust events
• Other duties as required
• Essential: Ability to write clear, consistent, and relevant content that delivers an engaging experience for the Trust’s target audiences.
• Essential: A creative mindset and a passion for telling stories
• Essential: You have experience generating content using photography and audiovisual mediums
• Essential: Comfortable carrying equipment in the field and walking through challenging terrain
• Desirable: An understanding of social media content creation, management, and scheduling
• Essential: You have excellent communication skills and enjoy collaborating with others
• Desirable: Ability to conduct and record interviews
• Desirable: Analyze content or campaigns, report findings and provide recommendations
• Desirable: Strong working knowledge in Canva Pro (or similar platform) and Knowledge of design tools and photo/video editing software
• Desirable: Journalism and/or marketing experience
• Desirable: A background in graphic design
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
• Have completed post-secondary studies, meaning a degree or diploma program from a recognized institution
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status.
• Not in receipt of Employment Insurance during their internship and
• Self-assess as unemployed or underemployed, relative to your post secondary studies
Term of employment
• This is a full-time, six-month internship with the possibility of extension based on performance
• The position is based in Charlottetown, PE but will require working with other staff at locations elsewhere in the province
• The pay rate for this position is $18/hour
• Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
How to Apply
The closing date to apply is October 15th, 2021 by 5pm AST
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and name and contact details for 3 references to:
Jordan Smith, Administrative Assistant
Island Nature Trust
P.O. Box 265 Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K4,
While we will only be contacting those candidates selected for an interview, we do greatly appreciate your interest in the work of Island Nature Trust.